Thursday, February 12, 2009

Confessions of a Bad Blogger in Rome


The title of this post makes it sound like it's going to be more juicy than it actually is. I'm sorry to disappoint, but my confession is a little more modest than what others might confess to in Rome; the guilt that is following me around these ancient streets relates to being a complacent blogger of late. I'm pleading lack of public wifi as my official reason: thanks to an antiterror law that was past in Italy last year, it's virtually impossible to find public wifi spots here. If I wanted to open an internet cafe in Rome, I would need to shell out for a public communications business license, purchase some rather expensive tracking software, and photocopy the passports of my clientele as they arrive at the door. And I thought the Swiss were paranoid.

But I do have internet access in my hotel, so I can't plead 'no public wifi' as my only excuse. Truth be told, I'm much more interested in being out and about in Rome than sitting in my hotel room, writing about it. I feel like a bad vegan blogger. To alleviate my guilt, here's a check-in on my average daily protein consumption.

Yesterday's major protein sources:

20 hazelnuts (from a market stall) - 4g protein
1 cup chickpeas (in a dip) - 11g protein
1 cup baba ganoush (with the chickpea dip) - 10g protein
30 pumpkin seeds (on a salad) - 8g protein
1 bowl seven bean soup (self explanatory, really) - 12g protein

I'd call this borderline low. Fortunately, I have some travel pouches of Vega with me for such low-protein emergencies. I'll have one tonight before bed; right after my fourth glass of vino rosso. At least my training in Rome is fairing better than both my blogging and protein consumption (providing we don't talk about swimming and biking, that is). I'm pleased to say that running is featuring daily, and continues to feel really good. Running around the Colosseum, running along the Tiber, running past the Trevi fountain, up to the Vatican, down the Spanish steps...

Why am I sitting in my hotel, writing about this, again?

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Rachel, Laura P here. I'm loving your blog! That was until the entry on procrastination when I felt guilty about not getting on with what I should be...

Sounds like a fantastic time with your Mum, I hope she is well.

I'll get back to the reading and worry about the project I should be working on later...! xx

Rachel Nelson said...

Hi Laura,

Great to hear from you! How on earth are you?

My Mum is well, I will tell her you were asking for her.

Now, get back to your project!!

Rachel.