Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One to Watch


I just came across this individual, the first vegan to compete in the invite-only Ultraman Hawaii (a 3-day/320 mile double-Ironman distance triathlon):

http://www.richroll.com/

He clocked the second fastest swim split and finished 10th overall, all on six months of training. He's also a father of four, an attorney, a filmmaker and a writer. Who says men can't do more than one thing at a time? The Marathon de Sables (6 day 151 mile run across the Sahara Desert) and Badwater (135 mile run across Death Valley) are both on his race list this year and I'll be watching his results.

In my humble little world, I am excited to report that the Tour de Mont Blanc organizing committee has officially accepted me into the 50km ultramarathon this year. It looks some persuasion, in the form of many emails back and forth concerning a race I won last year which I requested be added to the list of qualifying races. With a name like 'Walk in The Park', a 50km ultra in a Canadian interior town called 'Kamloops', I can't blame them for thinking I was making it up.

I love how the French language lends itself so well to exasperated arguing, even by email: "mais je l'ai gangé, je l'ai gagné' (but I won it, I won it!) I pleaded many times. They finally checked the race's website and contacted the race director, and have accepted it as a qualifying race and have accepted me into this year's event in August. This means I will be running a very mountainous 50km event 5 weeks before my first Ironman; perhaps not what a coach would advise me to do, but I don't have a coach so I'm doing it. I'm sure Rich Roll would agree.

4 comments:

Darren F said...

That's hilarious about their not believing in that race in Kamloops.

Was curious if you had any book (or website) recommendations regarding your new diet. Mostly I want to know what kinds of things you're eating since I've been shifting my diet in a more healthy direction over the last year.

Love the recipies you've posted btw! Thanks!

Rachel Nelson said...

Hi Darren,

Yes, you can forgive them for being dubious about 'Kamloops'!

I highly recommend Brendan Brazier's book 'The Thrive Diet'. It's what got me first thinking about veganism a few years ago. I heard that he has a new book out, but I can't find it over here in Europe. I'll have to pick up a copy next time I'm in Canada.

I've also found that any cookbook of non-western food will have a lot of naturally vegan recipes. It's easy to forget that the majority of the world's population eat a predominantly vegetarian or vegan diet. I have a great Indian curry book that I turned to frequently in the colder months here in fondue-land...

Hope that helps!

Rachel.

Darren F said...

I've got a copy of the Thrive Diet and it's had an impact on my eating habits for sure! There are way more nuts, seeds, and smoothies in my life now.

There's a fantastic vegan cookbook called Refresh by Ruth Tal. The last 1/3 is all about juicing and has some cool looking recipies. Apparently Steve Tyler of Aerosmith hooks up heaps of wheatgrass from their restaurant whenever he's in Toronto.

http://www.freshrestaurants.ca/cookbooks.asp

Not sure if you've seen that book yet, but if you haven't it's well worth picking up!

Rachel Nelson said...

Well I think Steve Tyler has some damage to undo, so he should down all the wheatgrass he can get!

How I wish there was a restaurant like this in Switzerland...

Thanks Darren!