Thursday, August 20, 2009

P.S.


I haven't been asked how I felt after a meal this many times since the time I tried a deep-fried Mars bar in a chip shop in Glasgow.

I felt fine, everybody, after my concessionary consumption of meat and cheese last week. I had no stomach pain, no bloating, no gas or any other ill-effects that I'm receiving inquiries about. No limbs fell off either. And no, eating sausages didn't feel like that first sip of water after crossing the desert. The meal tasted good, but largely becasue of company I shared it with.

And no, I don't think this is the beginning of the end. Quite the contrary, in fact: my new rule of allowing myself to break the rules from time to time in the name of accepting hospitality with a little tact and grace makes staying (largely) vegan for life seem more plausible to me than before. I estimate that my diet will remain 90-95% vegan now, and yes, I will continue to write about my experience as I prepare for Ironman. Now that I'm home, I'm cooking up a storm in the kitchen. I've missed good vegan home-cooking over the last week more than I realized. In fact, my first meal back at home felt a little like I just crossed the desert and had my first taste of fresh water.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachael,

Since you stopped posting anymore after August 20th, 2009. The key question I have an most all vegan athletes have after this endeavor is:
(1) While you were vegan did your athletic performance improve?
(2) After you stopped begin vegan, has your athletic performance changed?
(3) Do you feel better as a carnivore or as a vegan?

I believe these are the 3 questions you were looking to answer. Can you answer them now?

Rachel Nelson said...

Hi Rodney,

I didn't stop posting after August 20th; there are several posts after that date. My diet continues to be vegan 95% of the time; I now make exceptions when I eat at others' tables.

To answer your question about whether I feel better as a vegan or as a carnivore, I have discussed at length in my blog posts how I feel my physical fitness has improved on a vegan diet; you might want to read a little further back.

Rachel.