Thursday, March 5, 2009

Preparing to Roll


There is more white stuff falling from the sky today. This wasn't supposed to happen; it was supposed to be spring. I normally feel that snow is very pretty, but right now, I am finding it untimely.

The kick start riding program is going very well. It's an off day from both riding and running for me, so I swam 2.5km this morning and am putting my feet up for the rest of the day, with laptop in lap. The absence of tiredness or muscle lethargy is almost spooky; but longer and harder workouts will be the real test. The last 3 days have totaled 6 hours in the saddle and a short 20-30 minute run transition after every ride. Tomorrow is a 2 hour ride, 2 hour run, but unless I can make mother nature bend to my will, I'm not sure that the riding part will be safe.

If racing ultramarathons has taught me nothing else, it has taught me that you sometimes need to roll with the punches. The unexpected happens, and the happiest people I have met in life are the people who know how and when to roll. I'd like to think I'm one of those people, and am fully aware that I'm often not. I'm going to try and be that person tomorrow if I wake up to this weather.

I'm looking out the window, down to where the lake used to be, and I'm reminding myself that under different circumstances, I find snow pretty.

No comments: