Sunday, May 10, 2009

What Structures and Armchairs have in Common


I’m one week into my new life in Narbonne, and things are shaping up well. Other than having no hot water and no internet, my apartment is now set up and is even starting to have that certain feeling of familiarity that only a home can have. The upside to not having hot water is that it’s forced me to the pool every day for a shower, and if I’m going to the pool to get clean, I might as well get a swim in too, so I’ve unwittingly gotten back on the swimming wagon. I’ve done some running along the canal with no particular time or speed goals, and I plan to get on my bike tomorrow with a similar turn-back-whenever-you-want rule in force at the outset.

I’ve opted for this strategy before when I’ve lost my inspiration and momentum to train, either through distractions (like Christmas) or periods of high-stress (like multiple deadlines at work). My recent relocation to France was like Christmas and multiple deadlines all bundled together, so my hope is that this approach will bring back the desire to train in short order and I’ll slip into something that looks like a routine soon. From speaking with other athletes, I know it's an approach that works for those of us who tend to put a lot of pressure on ourselves and completely opt out when things are not perfect.

I’ve been thinking this week about the importance of routine (a debate in itself), and how best to establish one when there are no markers to use as a basic framework. Anyone who has worked from home will know what I’m talking about, but add to it that everything here is new for me: every face and every shop, the sounds from the street below my windows, the bank opening hours (better than Switzerland, worse than Canada), the pathway to the bathroom in the night, the recycling rules. I’ve gotten myself lost trying to find my apartment in the old town’s web of narrow streets more than once, and I always seemed to be carrying something heavy at the time. I have no coordinates but I’m determined to get my bearings as soon as possible; so I’m going to start implementing some new structures into my life. The structure has to be firm but flexible; it has to support the things I want to achieve with a weighting that reflects their importance to me. Training for Ironman, performing well at work, getting proper nutrition, becoming fluent in French lickity-split, making friends (don’t laugh, but I’m going to need a structure to do this – again, anyone who has worked from home knows what I’m talking about) and (this is a new one) brushing up on my knowledge of French history and politics are the first that come to mind, and I’m sure that there are more.

My very wise friend and superb life coach, Sandi Amorim (www.devacoaching.com), once told me that structures in life should feel like a big comfortable armchair; once in place, they are something that you sink into and breathe a sigh of relief. I’ve missed the mark before when setting up structures and have ended up adding to the background of anxiety I was trying to eliminate; an example of mission very much not accomplished.

So, where to begin. I think I’ll head out for an untimed run through these unfamiliar streets to mull it over. I’ll hopefully find my front door again on my first attempt.

No comments: