Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Taking Stock: June


It's the last day of the month and it's official: I'm tired. I was surprised by it this morning when I woke up and looked at the clock and it was 6.30am, and I realised I'd slept right through the night. But I'm now less surprised by it having done my diligent summary of my training volume this month:

35 hours riding

16.5 hours running

13.5 hour swimming

June was the first month where I can say I trained hard in all three disciplines consistently; and the total volumes show it. I'm pleased with my progress in both running and swimming; both feel good and I can feel myself gaining strength and speed.

The bike, however, is another matter. I think it's safe to say that my concerns in this area are building to a quiet crisis in confidence. It started when I began to do speed and strength drills with Arnold and Sabine six weeks ago. Realizing that I hadn't been pushing myself enough in this way, I've been incorporating these drills into my training at least once - but often twice - a week. And I feel like I've made zero progress. My endurance on the bike remains good, but heaven help me if I have to ride into a headwind or climb a hill; I seem to lack the power that others have. I feel like the group Sunday rides are charity sessions: since the rule is that nobody is dropped from the group, the stronger riders hang back and push riders who are struggling to keep up. This means that I regularly spend a good portion of the back half of a long ride with a hand on my back. While this makes me feel feel warm and fuzzy inside, it leaves me teeming with frustration that I require help to keep up.

I'm determined to find a solution to my lack of strength on the bike, and that starts with finding out why. This week is going to be all about reading everything I can find online on the topic, quizzing those who have the Ironman training experience that I lack, a reexamination of my training program and of course, a reexamination of my diet. It would be foolish to not query whether there is something missing in my nutrition that is holding me back from making gains in this area. I'm not resting until I find an answer, and I'll be reporting back on what I decide needs to be done.

And now moving onto the area of my diet, and recipe of the month. A few weeks ago, I had a particularity animated and exciting moment in the organic foods store when I found nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast, for those who aren't familiar with it, is an inactive yeast that is bright yellow in color and has a nutty cheesy flavor. It contains eighteen amino acids, making it a complete protein, and while being rich in a plethora of vitamins and minerals, it is an especially good source of the much coveted b12 vitamin for vegans. It comes in both flakes and a powdered form, and it melts just like cheese when added to hot foods.

I used nutritional yeast regularly in Vancouver before becoming vegan because of it's health benefits and was sad that I couldn't find it anywhere in Europe. But the south of France has pulled through for me again and I did a small dance in the aisle of the Biofoods Coop when I saw it, bold and yellow and en masse in a bulk foods bin. I filled a large bag and rushed home to make something I've been missing terribly (those who frequent the Naam restaurant in Vancouver will know what I'm talking about here):

Miso Gravy

3 tablespoons of red or yellow miso
1 and 1/2 cups of water
1 and 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons of unbleached flour
2 teaspoons of minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon of dried basil

Directions:

1. In a medium-sized pan, bring olive oil to medium heat, then add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is tender and translucent.

2. Reduce heat to low setting and add flour and nutritional yeast. Stir steadily for 1-2 minutes.

3. Add water in a slow drizzle while stirring briskly. Bring heat up to medium setting and continue to stir regularly for about 10 minutes, or until gravy begins to thicken.

4. Once the gravy has just started to thicken, reduce heat to medium-low setting and add miso and basil. Keep the pan uncovered and stir occasionally. It typically takes about 15 minutes for the gravy to fully thicken and become smooth.

Pour over baked or mashed potatoes (great comfort food when feeling blue after a punishing outing on the bike) or (lower-calorie but equally tasty option) a plate of steamed vegetables.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey rachel, About the bike, I'll give my non-expert opinion. It takes time to build on that base, but also I found riding HARD, for prolonged periods a couple times a week will give you some results. This may be hard though with the other 2 sports you train on a daily basis. Riding with those faster than you, and really trying to keep up will get you there, just takes time with cycling. WIll be interested to hear what you find in your research!

Rachel Nelson said...

Thanks Amy - this seems to be consistent with the other qdvice I am receiving right now. And since you happen to be one of the strongest riders I know, I am taking it to heart! Thanks again.