Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just Briefly...


I just arrived back from Barcelona and made the slow trip up the stairs to my first floor apartment. My body feels like it did 11 hours and 46 minutes and 42 seconds of non-stop exercise two days ago. For those who checked my results online, thank you for the congratulations. I am happy with my result, but the day sure had it's ups and downs and mishaps, not least of all when I managed to add 200m to the swim by heading in the wrong direction, or when aid stations began to run out of key things like coke, or when the final kilometer of the marathon was mis-marked. I will write a full race report soon, but suffice it to say that it's not a good idea to do an Ironman that is in it's first year of operation. None of the split times reported on the site are accurate, but the overall times are. My actual splits were:

Swim: 1:15:30

Bike: 6:11:59

Run: 4:12:15

Final time (includes transitions): 11:46:42

Category Position (female age 30-35): 7/25

Female Position (non-pro): 27/96

Overall position: 796/1755


Just thinking about these numbers brings on a new wave of tiredness. Time for a nap. Stay tuned for a detailed race report which I might give some thought to when I wake.

Oh, and here's a quick picture I took from our rented trailer that overlooked the race site:



6 comments:

Unknown said...

You did it! What a great time! Congratulations.

Sandi said...

Brava Rachel! Thanks for being true to yourself and inspiring us all while doing so!

Vince Hemingson said...

Congratulations! An accomplishment to be proud of and one that I'm sure you'll look back on with increasing fondness.

Anonymous said...

Son of a gun! Rachel, you rocked. Awesome time! Congratulations... I know exactly what it feels like... hmmmm, I have done 1 workout since my IM in Canada over 5 weeks ago. Get some rest & enjoy. There time for training later ;-)

Z said...

Awesome job Rachel! Wuhoo!

gearsurfer said...

The guys in Kona better be prepared for you ... :-) An absolutely amazing result!